Most of you know that last weekend I had the opportunity to attend the Pioneer Trek for the youth. I volunteered to go, but as the day got closer and closer, I really wanted to back out. On Friday it actually took every part of me not to call and cancel. I was having a bad day, to say the least and couldn't even do the dishes without crying. But this weekend turned out to be exactly what I needed to boost my spirits and get a new outlook on my life!
We had a great time walking 12 miles through the desert wearing our skirts, aprons and bonnets. It was exactly what I needed. An opportunity for me to realize how blessed I am. There is obviously a reason that Heavenly Father didn't send me to this earth in the 1800's, probably because I never would have made it, but that is okay!
My favorite part was on Saturday, after we woke up and had breakfast, the Mormon Battalion came to recruit all the young men leaving the girls behind. We heard some facts and stories about what the lives were like of the pioneer women who were left to fend for their selves and make the journey to the Salt Lake Valley alone. We then were asked to kneel in the dirt and offer up the most sincere desires of our hearts. I was immediately overwhelmed with the spirit and had a new appreciation for my pioneer heritage. We then began pulling our handcarts without any help from the young men. I was pulling with one of the girls from my ward, and just as we were saying , "this isn't so bad", they said turn here. Turn where? The trail goes straight! We then pulled our handcarts over bushes up and through trenches. I was so out of breath that it hurt, all the while the young women was saying, "Come on Sister Lichty, you can do it!". And at that moment I realized the strength of our youth. Not just their physical strength, but their spiritual strength. To keep going when things aren't easy.
It completely wore me out, but I am so glad I went. I got a great workout, got to spend some time with some great women, bond with our young women, and my sisters being there was the bonus!!
13 comments:
I am so glad that you went, if anything it was to gain the experience and strengthen your testimony, which it did. You are amazing and a wonderful YW leader. Those girls are lucky to have you. I know it was an experience that will never be forgotten. You Rock!!
12 miles is a long way. I'd have lost my testimony after about 2. Sounds like a good experience though.
I am so jealous!! It sounds like it was a great experience.
that's awesome. i'm sure you'll always remember it. and...you just gave me the strength I need to go do my dishes :)
That is so cool. I never did the trek. We missed you though!!! Did you get the wipey case? See ya soon!
Wow, that is such a neat experience! I agree with Danielle and we missed you sat night but you were doing something much more important! Hope we see you soon!
This seemed like such an awesome thing. I dont ever remember doing any of the kind of stuff the do in young women now =( It will definately be somehting you'll always remember Imsure... I have tried Eucerin? Were can I find it?
What a wonderful experience!! I totally agree with you on the whole living in the 1800's thing... I NEVER would have survived!!
That sounds amazing, I don't know if I could have done that. It probably is one of those experiences that you will remember for the rest of your life.
What a wonderful eye-opener into the lives of the pioneers. I have never done anything like that, I'm sure it wasn't easy, but that it made you appreciate the little things even more!!
How awesome! What a treasure of an experience. We are so blessed to be where we are today. I can't imagine living through what they did and making such amazing sacrifices. I know we have our own unique challenges, but it is profound to think of what they accomplished. I'm so glad you had a good experience!
That is so neat. Sounds like a great experience, I don't know if I would have been able to do that. The YW are so lucky to have you as a leader!
You are AMAZING! Love Ya
Post a Comment