This last week I got to spend with the girls from our ward at Girl's Camp. We left at 5:30am on Tuesday. I had all first years in my car and lets just say even though I was pretty tired there was NO way I was falling asleep while driving! We arrived at Yankee Meadow without any problems and were welcomed by our "Indian friends". Our theme was "Daughter of a King" and we were all Indian princess'. The YCL's (Missy, Trissa, Angela, and Jessie) gave everybody Indian names and split us into groups. My name was Tiger Lilly (I kind of claimed that name when I first heard that we were doing an Indian theme!). Brother Carter and I were the leaders for our group, Angela was our YCL and then we had Bailey, Jessica, and Emmalee.
The first day we "wandered in the wilderness"(went hiking). For certification purposes we had to go on a mile hike and review the first aid that the girls learned with stake. But with all the stories and jokes, we had to do a 3mile hike. It was really fun though! The girls in our group were hilarious and I learned that the answer to pretty much any first aid question is to get naked and cuddle! 
Our third day was the best! We "gathered food" (archery) in the morning. I don't think I have ever really tried it, but it was alot of fun. For lunch we headed to the Connor's cabin in Brianhead. We stuffed ourselves and then headed up the mountain for some repelling. This was my favorite activity. It was so much fun watching the girls go down, totally terrified and then a second later laughing because they were having so much fun. I was a little nervous as I have only done it once before and that was 11 years ago when I was in YW.
Although the whole week was really spiritual for me. I think it was my experience I had while repelling that made the trip for me. As I was watching all the girls get harnessed up and go off the cliff one by one, I saw them a little bit more like the Lord sees us. Two of the first years were all ready to go. Both of them were scared and really hesitant about backing themselves over the edge. One of them made it over and realized that it wasn't scary anymore and happily repels down. The other one couldn't do it. Her legs were shaking and she began to cry. All the girls were cheering for her, telling her that she could do it, when all of a sudden tears came to my eyes as I was watching her. I knew she would be okay, I knew that she could do it, and our Heavenly Father knows that about each of us. When we are having trials in our lives, He knows that we will be okay and that we can do it, but it is still hard to watch us struggle, as it was hard for me to see this cute little first year. I definitely came away from repelling having more faith in my Heavenly Father.

I am so thankful that my mom was willing to watch my kids for the week, so I could have this opportunity. I had so much fun and got the spiritual boost that I needed. It was fun to be with the girls and the other leaders. This was definitely my best year at camp!!

I am so thankful that my mom was willing to watch my kids for the week, so I could have this opportunity. I had so much fun and got the spiritual boost that I needed. It was fun to be with the girls and the other leaders. This was definitely my best year at camp!!
Don't get me wrong, I did miss Chris and the kids, but I did NOT want to come home, at least not yet anyways. I had to leave a day early because Chloe had a dance recital. They kept telling me to just leave already, but I just stood, not wanting to miss anything. It took a good part of the drive home to get all my tears out. It was rather nice not having any worries while at camp. I can't wait until next year!
1 comment:
I'm glad it went so well. But now I'm even more sad to have missed camp this year!!
Post a Comment