Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A little SCARE!

At the hospital, right after we got there. No smile, he was in slot of pain.

Sunday Nick woke up with a stiff neck and a headache. I figured he slept on it wrong and didn't think much of it. He was in tears during Sacrament meeting, so Chris decided to take him home and get him some more Tylenol and let him rest. He felt a little better and was playing with his cousins. While we were at my mom's house he started to feel crumby and a little warm, so again we gave him more Tylenol and went home and put him to bed. He didn't sleep much he was crying through out the night. So when he woke up yesterday I figured I needed to take him to be seen. Still not thinking that they were going to do much for a stiff neck. Since it was a holiday we went to an urgent care. We surprisingly didn't have to wait too long, but as soon as the doctor came in he was talking meningitis. He strongly believed it was and even had the nurse give him a very strong shot of antibiotics. He said meningitis isn't something to mess with so he ordered an ambulance.

WHAT!??? I was fine until I called Chris to tell him and then the tears started coming. I was trying to be strong, so I didn't scare Nick, but it was hard. Luckily my dad was with me, so he took Alex and Cooper home while I rode with Nick to Sunrise. Chris was able to meet us there and then beat us to the hospital.

They drew his blood, hooked him up to an IV, sent him for a cat scan and then he had to have a spinal tap. All in all I think it was more traumatic for Chris and I. We were there when Chloe had to have her spinal tap and that was the worst ever. Then they told us we had to leave because they needed 2 doctors and 2 nurses to hold him down and that there wasn't enough room for all of us.

The cat scan was normal, showing that he had severe sinusitis and then the spinal tap came back okay too.

After a long day at the hospital our boy is okay!! He endured alot yesterday for a sinus infection, but I never realized how quickly it could go from something so minor to something so life threatening. I am definitely glad I took him in! I am thankful for priesthood blessings, for very supportive parents who care as if it were there own child, and for caring family and friends.

Finally getting some sleep after his spinal tap. They gave him some drugs, so he didn't even know they did anything to him.


10 comments:

Lindsey said...

That's so scary- so glad that it was nothing major and that he is getting better!!

Brittany said...

I'm so glad he's ok!!!! Hope ge is feeling well soon!

Staci said...

Oh my gosh Chrissy, how awful I had no idea. I would freak out too if the doctor is telling you you have to a take an ambulance! I am glad he is okay. I don't like seeing him with all those tubes.

Danielle said...

Poor Nick. What a tough little guy!! I am so glad everything turned out to be ok. (((hugs))) to you.

Ryan said...

That's terrifying. I'm just happy he's doing OK. A good reminder to count our blessings.

Lauren said...

So sorry you all had to go through all that!! Poor Nick, hope he is feeling better now.

Danielle said...

glad that everything is okay, it is the worst to see your kids go through something.

Marilene said...

so scary!

Kim said...

So Scary!! Glad he is ok!! We do need to get together, and I guess we can bring Justin and Chris!!

Janeen said...

Oh man, that is so scary. I'm glad he's okay.